Solving the health problem is our core mission at TFC. A healthy world is a world free of discrimination so our team is doing our part by improving our understanding and that starts with learning.
Becoming an ally requires understanding. Improved understanding leads to increased compassion and to true progress towards a future we can all be proud to create together.
As we embark on the journey to improve our awareness on the topic of discrimination, we created this page to list the resources we have been exploring so that the entire TFC community can take action by leading with themselves first.
We plan to continually add information from the list and invite any additional resource recommendations to be sent our way via Instagram direct messages. Our team will be working to develop initiatives that allow our company to contribute positive change and be part of the solution to end racism
Thanks for spending your attention on being part of the solution
– TFC team
The Foot Collective Australia acknowledges the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of the nation and the traditional custodians of the lands in which we live, learn and work.
While Australia has a different history and culture to the USA, we have similar problems with racial inequalities, especially between Indigenous and Non-Indigenous peoples. Among disparities in rates of incarceration and deaths in custody, there are also major issues in health, education and employment that can create a vicious cycle in these communities.
Although these are deep, multifactorial issues that can seem overwhelming and difficult to act on, we are hearing a strong message about what is helpful and that is compassionate listening, a willingness to learn and confront our own biases and support for our Indigenous businesses and communities.
As a community we all have a responsibility to at least understand our true history (and how it has led to our current situation) and be open to having conversations about what we learn. Through better awareness and understanding we have the opportunity to make better decisions.
This page will be a place to share resources that we've found helpful along the way, as well as suggestions for how to support our First Nations communities. Please get in touch if you have any questions or suggestions on resources or content!
Foundations and Organisations
- Bridging the Gap Foundation (Health) - https://btgfoundation.com.au/
- Healing Foundation (Health) - https://healingfoundation.org.au
- Gurrumul Foundation (Community & Culture) - https://www.gurrumulfoundation.org.au
- NAISDA (Dance & Culture) - https://naisda.com.au
- Cathy Freeman Foundation (Education) - https://www.cathyfreemanfoundation.org.au
- Supply Nation (Indigenous Business Directory) - https://supplynation.org.au/
- Indigenous Australia: What They Don’t Teach You (Video Series)
- Prison rates - https://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/law/aboriginal-prison-rates
- Aboriginal Deaths in Custody: https://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/law/royal-commission-into-aboriginal-deaths-in-custody#Findings_of_the_commission